Hi, it’s me. I’m the problem.
I’ll be the first to admit I have had a problem finding the energy to write for myself, since I got into freelance work. Case in point, I haven’t updated this blog in almost two years. The problem is I have to pay my bills, and that doesn’t come from this website. It’s time to refresh!
If you’re here because you saw me link my blog in an application, welcome! I am currently open to freelance work. I have been writing freelance since 2017, becoming full-time in 2019. Even during college, I submitted work to various publications, so really I have more than six years of experience.
I have known since I was eight years old that I wanted to be a writer, and I have spent every minute of my schooling and career working towards this goal. Despite the difficulty of finding work in the journalism industry, I continue to persevere and keep true to the dreams of eight-year-old Rachel.
Since August 2022, I’ve been working on writing a book. I have about 36K words in it, and a regular romance novel of the same genre is about 75-100K words give or take. Part of my inability to find time to write for myself is writers’ block – I spend a lot of time writing for other people and don’t feel like doing anymore writing by the time I log off for the day.
My 2023 goal is to finish my book and edit it, so I can pitch it to agents. It’s not a pipe dream, I know it’s going to happen. When I have time…
In the meantime, I’ll share what I’ve been up to lately.
- Reading: I read 106 books in 2022
- Journaling: I’m on my 7th bullet journal since 2020. WOW. Shout out to Archer & Olive for making the best journals in the game *not sponsored*
- Jewelry: I’ve been running a small business making polymer clay jewelry. I started in 2020 as a pandemic hobby and it became so much bigger than I ever could’ve imagined. In 2022 I started doing pop-up’s and markets, which I hope to continue to do this year. I even sell in about 10 local Cape May stores. WHAT?!
- Job hunting: I’m always looking for the next freelance job I want to do. Currently I’m toying with the idea of getting into the publishing house industry – but that’s hard when they want experience and while I have a lot of writing experience, it’s not book editing. We’ll see *crosses fingers*
- Family: I spend a lot of time with my family and that has been SO good for my mental health.
- Plants: Uh, so I discovered my love for plants in 2022 and I currently have 35 plants…and I know it sounds like a lot but I swear it’s not. And I want more. Sue me!!
I hope you have found this post to be light, moderately entertaining, and appreciate that I finally found a spare 20 minutes to get a post up. I’m sorry for the hiatus but I don’t necessarily know if I will be better in the future. One can hope.
Leave a Reply